Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Emotions, Emails and Now Blogs

On the topic of firing off an email (and now a blog) in the heat of passion, I have been finding out that the recipient(s) can read it totally different from how it was intended. It has been so difficult for me to become a kinder, gentler typist. Evidently, my keyboard fingers go faster than good common sense. Now I am learning I should type it, read it, spell check it, save it for an hour, or maybe a day, sleep on it, then make a decision on whether to send it. Never send an email when your head is spinning [especially when your eyes are rolling back in your head] and you are thinking "I will just fire off a response to bam, bam, bam ..." Oh yeah, cc to a whole herd of friends, families, church members, office workers, -- YIIKKKESS.

It's hard to read into the emotions meant by the sender, you know? I might be just lightly sarcastic, but I come across as "hard and single minded". Just trying to describe this kind of dilemma is almost impossible. I may be trying to be sweet, darling little Mary Poppins, but you may be picturing...




... Composing furiously away. My keyboard spewing forth, scary, bile, stuff that sometimes, ... don't we all, wish I could call back. Picture - trying to be cute, deft, particularly quick with words and instead something like this appears...





(An Aside-- I'm reminded here that Jack Handey always said that if you drop your car keys in a hot lava pool; forget em' man, they're gone.)

So for those of you who have not gone down the fiery lava tube of scorching words and injuring tender unprepared eyes, I gotta say go easy on your friends. Think before you tap on those lethal keys. Sleep on it. That's what I will do now.

OH No, I'm back-MC



3 comments:

Trey Laminack said...

think before you blog

Anonymous said...

blog blog blog

Emily said...

Good thoughts. Sometimes its easy to forget that people actually read our blogs!