Friday, August 12, 2005

On The Road Again - a Band of Two Gypsies

Well, Frank and I will be heading out Saturday for New Mexico. I am so fired up and my spouse is slowly warming up to the thrills of leaving cow city. I am telling you, I have really got to get away. We will headed to North Central NM - first Taos and then to our main destination Red River. We have reservations at a Lodge with a porch that looks out on the river. It has a kitchenette, so you can be assured there will be some serious cookin' going on. Ha! Bagels and Coffee, mostly. We also have a fireplace, so I'm counting on some nice cool weather.

We're planning on taking a jeep ride on the jeep trails, Frank will do fishing and I will do reading and napping. Possible other activities on the burner are: square dancing, arrowhead searching, 50 mile hikes, tree climbing, skinny dipping, buying out all the stores (this one really), of course, horse back riding, snow-boarding, motorcycling, bird-watching, photo-contest picture taking, restaurant eating contests, bear trapping, coon-skin cap making, buying rubber tomahawks, eating some more, napping, napping, napping, ......

NOTE: To All burglars, Travis and all his rowdy friends will be in residence at our house and will be on the look out! No Shenanigans.

10 comments:

Web Bulimic said...

Maggie and I went to Red River this summer and we had such a good time. It was so relaxing. I'm jealous.

SubBlogger said...

YooHoo-
It's Frank & Me from the Medicine Mound Restaurant in Quanah, TX at 8:00 pm. We just stopped for our first dinner and they advertised 'high-speed' internet access, so here I am. I'll be having chicken-fried steak.

Trey Laminack said...

I think when you see the "Shenanigans" Travis and his friends can create you'll wish it had been only a burglar.

Joanie said...

HEY M.C.!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh...yeah...and Frank too!

Hope your trip is off to a great start. We are so jealous of your trip...I know it will be great. I think you are in Taos tonight. Oh man, I love Taos. Don't forget to throw an extra blanket on at night so you don't get too chilled!

In my world, mountains always win out over beaches.

Have fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

uggghhh...i'm sooo jealous! taos/red river are mine and shane's favorite vacation spots; we go there every other year for our anniversary (except not anymore because shane says this house is my gift every year until i die...). and my grandparents have lived in quanah their whole married lives, and i've eaten at the depot dozens of times...you're totally doin' my trip! (except we probably would've gone to my gparents house for some free food!) have a blast...the margaritas at maria's in santa fe are hard to beat--shei

SubBlogger said...

Here's an update- we saw antelope between Las Vegas and Taos near Trujillo, NM. We had great shopping and food in Taos. Met some folks from France who were actually friendly at a scenic overlook that was so beautiful. It's Monday in Red River and I've already bought my vacation Christmas Santa and he's gorgeous!
America the Beautiful. MC

Joanie said...

I just checked the weather in Red River. High of 65 and low of 41 tonight. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Looks like around 5:00 p.m., your chances for rain will go from 20% to 30%, so make sure you have your umbrella handy along with a light jacket to keep the chill off.

I guess that upper level low must be sitting right on top of you, bringing those showers across the mountains for those late afternoon rains. With the jet stream in its current location, you may be looking at a few rainy afternoons ahead of you. However, the good news is that the warm air aloft may push that low pressure zone to the east.

Oh how I wish I really knew what I was talking about...

Hey, M.C., don't peak too soon on your shopping. P...A...C...E yourself!

SubBlogger said...

Update #2 - Yes Joanie, having afternoon showers, but makes for nice afternoon naps. Frank fishes even if it rains. We rented a jeep today and had great ride up to Green Mountain. Stopped on trail for a souvenir Red River rock, that Frank had to heft into the jeep. Oh yeah, we did cook a big breakfast in our kitchen this morning. tata for now
M.C.

Joanie said...

Thanks for taking time away from your vacation to keep us updated. I'm imaginging right now strolling along the main road there and going into every trinkets and trash store acting interested in their treasures....Ahhhh...what fun!

Wezie said...

This sounds like the kind of vaction Preston and I would like. Does anyone want our kids for a while?